Selectmen / Assessors Contact
Open office hours Mondays 2:00-6:00
The Board of Selectmen functions as the town’s executive branch and as the agent to carry out the actions of the town’s legislative branch, the town meeting.
The Selectmen handle all assessing information and questions: the deeds, assessing cards, maps, abatements, current use, tax exemptions, tax credits, timber, excavation, address changes, ownership changes and tax warrants, refunds.
In part, RSA 41:8 reads, “The Selectmen shall manage the prudential affairs of the Town and perform the duties by law prescribed”. Those prudential affairs are varied and include:
- Create the annual budget, including the writing of warrant articles, reporting to appropriate state agencies, tax rate calculation, tax warrants and town report
- Property Tax Assessment, including every 5 year revaluation and recertification of exemptions, credits and current use
- Receive and respond to citizen questions or issues
- Receive and process building permits and septic system plans, applications for property tax related exemptions, credits, current use, intents to cut timber or excavate gravel , property tax abatements and annual inventories
- Generate land use change warrants, timber cut or excavation warrants
- Authorize vendor payments, manage capital reserve funds
- Ensure best practices in fiscal management (monitor expenses/revenues, observe purchasing policies, review or create policies and procedures)
- Issue requests for proposal for a variety of services (financial, assessing, policing, auditing, facilities management, software, IT)
- Personnel management including appointments to certain committees
- Carry out the decisions made at Town meeting
- Active participation in a variety of Town committees (Planning Board, Joint Loss Management, Budget Committee)
- Receive and process a variety of communications from local, State and Federal agencies (NH Dept. of Revenue, NH Dept. of Transportation, NH Municipal Association, US Census, E911)
- Generally to protect the interest of the Town particularly when no other board or official is specifically charged with the responsibility
Questions, inquiries, concerns should be directed to the Board of Selectmen through their Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant will assist where possible or re-direct issues where necessary.
The term of office for the Selectmen is for three years from the date of the March Town Meeting.
Current Selectmen and Term Ending Date
Bart Cushing 2024 Chairman cell 603-313-9970
Clem Lounder 2025 email; email@example.com
Sally Struble 2026
Meetings are Held
Every Monday at 6pm until the close of business
at the Gilsum Library 650 Route 10, Gilsum, NH, 03448
Minutes of meetings are kept at the town hall for public inspection.
Draft Minutes from recent meetings can be found online here.